Too many pattern attempts
After too many attempts, my phone got locked and asked for my Google username and password. But unfortunately, I wasn’t connected to Wifi due to which whenever I entered my login details it says invalid username and/or password. Since it tries to connect to the Google server to authenticate and it couldn’t.
OK, since my phone wasn’t asking me for a pattern and it wasn’t connected to the internet so it was also not able to authenticate my logins. So doing a master/hard reset was the only option left. To hard reset phone, you have to power off your phone and then turn it on in recovery/bootloader mode. To do this you have to follow these steps.
- Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button, and then press and hold the POWER button.
- Wait for the screen with the three Android images to appear, and then release the POWER and VOLUME DOWN buttons.
- Press VOLUME DOWN to select FACTORY RESET, and then press the POWER button.
But for this to work the Fast boot option in must not be selected. Oops! I remember I selected that option so I was out of luck and this didn’t work and my phone keep starting in normal mode leaving me on the same login screen.
So, now I was stuck and there were several problems.
- I couldn’t enter my pattern since it wasn’t asking due to too many attempts
- It wasn’t connected to Wifi or my phone data plan so there was no internet due to which it wasn’t authenticating from Google.
- The fast boot was selected so I was unable to restart my phone in recovery mode.
Now what? I tried to Google solution but all I was getting is to go in recovery mode to hard reset my phone to make it reusable and I was unable to do that as well. Then suddenly I found the solution!
The solution to this was when your phone is switched on and you are on the login screen do the following:
- Press and hold both Volume down button as well as the power button until the screen goes completely black.
- Once it is black release the power button only. Do not release the volume down button.
- You will be booted into the bootloader mode.
Woala! That’s it! Now you can select Factory reset from the menu and wow, finally I made my phone reusable again. 🙂